Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vegetarianism and America's greatest export -- the Drive Through

I came to the realization the other day that I'm essentially becoming a vegetarian.  Well not exactly a vegetarian, but pretty close.  I'll admit that I don't necessarily have an aversion to eating meat, but in good conscience I can't stand to support the callous, disgusting, not to mention inhumane "growing" of meat for consumption that takes place in the USA (and other places).  If this most recent beef recall doesn't confirm in everyone's mind that something horribly wrong is going on in these carcass processing plants, I don't know what would.  While I don't necessarily agree with all the particulars of the PETA-Vegan movement, I will say that I admire their respect for life, in all it's forms.  Not going to go into details here... after all, this blog does begin with a photo of me "kicking" a pigeon in Venice.  To be brief, I would say a more moderate approach is in order.  But what are you going to do when you live in the country that invented the drive through?  At first it was hamburgers, then medicines, and weddings.  Then in the cold weather climes the banks got into the act, and finally in Ohio.... the coup de gråce of our humanity and culture.... drive through liquor.  I'm glad I don't live in Ohio.  Note the very typically bulbous proportions of the local shopkeep (read: the fat guy in the picture!).  And below that, our greatest export, as I found it in Assisi, Italy.  Rendered so appetizingly refreshing as "McDrive."  Ooooh, can I have some McHypertension and McDiabetes with that?

2 comments:

Tamara said...

There has been a "Brew Thru" in NC sense 1977. Come to think of it, I have a T-shirt from there. What does that say about me?

Anna said...

Nate,
your blog is boring. Update it.